Gokulbhai Bhatt wanted Rajasthani in the Schedule of languages of the Constitution of India

Gokulbhai Daulatram Bhatt wanted Rajasthani in the Schedule of languages of the Constitution of India CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY DEBATES (PROCEEDINGS) - VOLUME X Thursday, the 6th October 1949 Shri Gokulbhai Daulatram Bhatt: I have an observation to make in regard to the language question, in so far as it involves the question of regional languages. I was not present on the day when the language question had come for consideration before the House. But my elders and my other friends advised me not to raise this question later on in this House. But I cannot refrain from observing that if Gujarati, Marathi and such other languages can all be considered regional languages there is no reason why Rajasthani which is similar to them and is spoken by one and a half crore of people could not be considered as a regional language. I know that it has several dialects. But all the same no one can say that its history begins in recent times. As a matter of fact Rajasthani had been in use of several centuries. I am also aware that the Rulers have been using this language and that when they correspond with their fief holders, they use it as a medium of correspondence. All these reasons favour its being accepted as a language by itself. It is therefore my humble submission that a place also should be provided to Rajasthani as a regional language and I am sure my friends here would consider this question whenever it that this language deserves to be recognized as a language by itself. I do not want to create ascertain because that would mean giving long citations but I do insist that this language should be given a place along with other regional languages.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

भारत के मूल संविधान को नमन करते प्रधान मंत्री नरेंद्र मोदी -

संविधान सभा में नामकरण संस्कार" भारत / इंडिया" पर निर्णायक चर्चा -18 सितम्बर 1949